Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Power of Sweet Tea




















Yesterday afternoon I found a block of time where I actually had everything on my daily "to do list" accomplished. Yes, I was actually ahead of schedule. Normally I would want to go for a walk on the greenbelts near our house but it was pouring down rain. I decided to flip through the channels and landed on a lovely old classic movie (black & white). The woman had invited a group of ladies over for tea and scones. That got me thinking about our society today. We don't spend time visiting anymore or building strong relationships with friends, neighbors, and family. It's as if everyone is too busy these days to take interest in anyone else.

Living in the deep South it wasn't uncommon to sit on the porch swing sipping a nice cold glass of sweet tea with your family. Offering a cool glass of tea was extending love to your neighbor, friend, etc. Especially during those hot humid summer months. The fan would be slicing through that thick humid air and you could feel the sweat dripping from your face to your legs. It was too hot to move, ha. On a day like that a cold glass of tea would refresh other's spirits. You would offer a glass, sit, and catch up.

My husband and I were at dinner and I couldn't help notice the table next to us. A family sitting in absolute silence, two teenagers were texting, the youngest child playing with a video game, and the parents starring into nothingness not saying a word. I thought to myself, how sad. I suppose you could call me and my husband old fashioned. See, I believe in spending time discussing the daily events, the blessings of God, and focusing on the hope and dreams of the future. If you sit next to me I'll want to hear your life story, your future dreams, and what God has done for you. That's where encouragement, support, and love come from, spending time with others. Not sitting in silence but really visiting with each other.

You'd be surprise what a pitcher of sweet tea could make. I'm a firm believer that sweet tea could change the world.

2 comments:

  1. A very lovely post! I also like your others... Although there are not a great many yet, I can see that there are a great many to come!

    A sad state indeed if you go out for lunch/brunch/dinner and spend it in complete silence! We have a rule at our table that you may read/send a text only if you share it with the family! This can sometimes be very diverting IF it is read/responded too, which most times it is not. Definitely NO games though.

    Bring on the tea! Very sweet is how I like it too.
    I am happy to see that I am your first follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't love sweet tea, you must not have had any! Thank you for this! Nice to have you stop by too.

    Oh, BTW- I just adore the picture of that cute little lamb!

    ReplyDelete